Good advice.

Good advice.

BC Property Transfer Tax Changes That Will Affect Foreign Entities Acquiring Properties in the Greater Vancouver Regional District

DBM Law Blog

Effective August 2, 2016, an additional property transfer tax applies to residential property transfers to foreign entities in the Greater Vancouver Regional District.

The Amount of the Additional Property Transfer Tax

The additional tax on property transfers to foreign entities is 15% of the fair market value of the foreign entity’s proportionate share of a residential property located in whole or in part in the Greater Vancouver Regional District, excluding Tsawwassen First Nation lands. This tax applies in addition to the general property transfer tax.

The Greater Vancouver Regional District includes Anmore, Belcarra, Bowen Island, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, Langley City and Township, Lion’s Bay, Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver City and District, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Richmond, Surrey, Vancouver, West Vancouver, White Rock and Electoral Area A. The additional tax does not apply to properties located on Tsawwassen First Nation lands.

The additional tax applies on all applicable transfers registered with the Land Title Office on or after August 2, 2016, regardless of when the contract of purchase and sale was entered into.

This tax applies in addition to the general property transfer tax. The additional tax applies on the foreign entity’s proportionate share of any applicable residential property transfer, even when the transaction may normally be exempt from property transfer tax.


What/Who is a Foreign Entity

Foreign entities are transferees that are foreign nationals, foreign corporations or taxable trustees.

Foreign nationals are transferees who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, including stateless persons.

Foreign corporations are transferees that are corporations:

  • not incorporated in Canada or
  • incorporated in Canada, but controlled in whole or in part by a foreign national or other foreign corporation, unless the shares of the corporation are listed on a Canadian stock exchange

Taxable trustees are trustees that are a foreign national or foreign corporation, or a beneficiary of a trust that is a foreign national or foreign corporation.


Enforcement of the Additional Property Transfer Tax

To ensure compliance, where transactions involve Canadian citizens and permanent residents their identity must be verified using official government issued identification.

Furthermore, the social insurance number (SIN) must be collected and verified to be that of the transferee by viewing the SIN card and comparing the name or by viewing one of the following:

  • T4 Statement of Remuneration Paid (slip)
  • Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment

Invalid social insurance numbers or other discrepancies on a return will lead to an audit and investigation of the transaction.

Failure to pay the additional tax as required or purposely completing the general or additional property transfer tax return with incorrect or misleading information may result in a penalty of the unpaid tax plus interest and a fine of $200,000 for corporations or $100,000 for individuals and/or up to two years in prison. The penalties apply to anyone who participates in tax avoidance.

Each transferee is jointly and severally liable for the additional tax payable. If one transferee does not pay the required additional tax, the other transferees, including Canadians, must pay that transferee’s share of the additional tax payable.


Further Information

For further or more updated information, please check out the Property Transfer Tax section of the BC Government’s website at .


Real Estate Law 2021/02/19


FIVE THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN DECIDING HOW TO OWN A PROPERTY WITH ANOTHER PERSON When you purchase a property in BC with another person (or other people), you can own that property in one of two ways: Joint Tenancy or Tenancy-In-Common. When making that decision, consider these five issues. 1. What is Tenancy-In-Common? Tenancy-In-Common is … Continued

Real Estate Law 2019/10/29

The Empty Homes Tax

The Empty Homes Tax is a new tax on vacant or under-utilized properties within Greater Vancouver. We discussed the definitions and exemptions of this tax in an earlier blog post: The Empty Homes Tax in Vancouver. With the introduction of the tax, some property owners have found themselves fighting for their exemptions. Today, this post … Continued


How Can We Help You Today?

(604) 939 8321