Start New Real Estate File
Thanks for voting us as your favourite law firm for 2023!
- TriCity News
Good advice.

Good advice.

Grandparents’ Custody Rights in British Columbia

DBM Law Blog

A separation can have a profound effect on the family.  When parents separate, they will either, through agreement or through the courts, decide on when and how they will spend time with their children.  But Grandparents with a close relationship with their grandchildren are often left out of such agreements or orders.

If you are being denied contact with your grandchildren, the first step is to try and reach an agreement with both parents as to when and how you will see the kids.  If you can reach an agreement, either between yourselves or with the help of a lawyer, mediator or counselor, then that agreement can be filed with the court.

However, if an agreement can’t be reached with both parents, then the grandparent will need to pursue a court order that will allow them to see their grandchildren.

British Columbia’s Family Law Act allows any person to apply for ‘contact’ or time with a child.  Obviously, however, the Courts are very cautious about allowing someone to have contact, especially against the parents’ wishes.  You will need to show that it is in the best interests of the child for you to have court ordered contact.  This can be difficult to do, and the onus will be on you to show why you should have guaranteed contact with your grandchildren.

In some situations, it may be necessary for you to take on more of a parenting role than simply having contact with your grandchildren. If you are looking to take on parental responsibilities, you will need to ask the court to become the child’s ‘Guardian’. Again, the Family Law Act allows anyone to apply for Guardianship, but the courts will be very stringent on who they decide to be a Guardian.  They will always look to what’s in the best interests of the child and will look at factors such as the nature and length of your relationship with the child, your plans for how you are going to care for the child, and any history of violence in the family. Guardianship will give you broader rights to ‘parenting time’ then a contact order.  You cannot become a Guardian by agreement, and must get an order from the court.

If you have questions about your rights as a grandparent in any family law case you can contact Drysdale Bacon McStravick LLP for the advice you need.


Family Law 2020/02/27

How To File An Uncontested Divorce

An uncontested divorce is a straight-forward process where ex-spouses can file a joint-application to finalize their divorce.  It is only applicable for couples who have an agreement on all the issues surrounding their separation (for example, dividing family property, spousal and child support and parenting time) and who have been separated for at least one … Continued

Family Law 2019/10/29

Common-Law Spousal Support Has Time Limits

There are time limits for spousal support applications for legally married spouses and spouses living in a marriage–like relationship. Spouses intending to make a claim of support against their spouse after separation should be aware that there are different time limitations for making the claim for support, depending on whether or not they were legally … Continued

Family Law 2019/10/29

How Custody Works in British Columbia

When a couple goes through the difficult process of separating and/or divorcing and have children, the issue of which parent is going to have custody comes up. There are different kinds of custody in BC: Sole custody: one parent is in charge of caring for and making decisions for the child. Joint custody: both parents … Continued


How Can We Help You Today?

(604) 939 8321